Sunday, March 22, 2009

Art Garfunkel in Concert

If I had to name my top 3 musical groups of all time, they would probably be: Queen, The Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel.
It's interesting that they are all old stuff. Because time does not forgive, it gets harder to see old musical groups as they get even older, and what has happened to me is that I have only been able to see remains of the complete groups.

Concerning Queen, because the vocalist Freddie Mercury died in 1991, I was only able to see the remaining members (Brian May and Roger Taylor) in a tour with Paul Rodgers back in 2005. It was still a great concert (one of my favorites ever) and I managed to get some backstage passes so i met Brian, Roger and Paul :)
The Beatles have the same problem of not being complete, both John and George have died, and only Paul and Ringo remain. I saw Paul McCartney in concert in 2004 in the Rock in Rio festival in Lisbon.
I was only missing seeing some "remain" of Simon & Garfunkel, and it happened yesterday.

Both Garfunkel and Simon are still alive. However, they haven't been performing much, and when they do it is not together, so it is hard to seem them nowadays playing as a duo.
Garfunkel schedule a couple of concerts here in the States, and yesterday he played in Staten Island (one of the 5 boroughs of New York City) and I was there.
It was a great concert: the venue was small and cozy and he played some of the biggest Simon & Garfunkel hits (The Boxer, Sound of Silence, Bridge Over Troubled Water, among others).
Garfunkel also seems like a very simple and humble person, and he managed to connect well with the audience.
It will be a night to remember!




No comments: