Monday, January 18, 2010

A Night at the Opera

Last Saturday I went to the Opera.

The first time I went to the Opera was in Lisbon, with some friends from McKinsey, and we went to see Madame Butterfly (Puccini) at the Coliseu de Lisboa. It was nice, but not too spectacular.

Last Saturday, however, it blew me away. The Opera was Turandot (also from Puccini) and there were a couple of things that made me love it.
First of all the production was really impressive. It was the New York Metropolitan Opera, and they really have great singers/performers, beautiful costumes and, most of all, the scenarios were magnificent.
In addition the music of the opera is also good, especially the opening of Act III with the classic Nessun Dorma (if you want to see and hear this beautiful song, go to the end of this post where I put a memorable Pavarotti's rendition of the song in LA in 1994, it is really worth watching it).
Last, the seats I got were amazing, the best in the house. I was in the first row of the Met Opera at the Lincoln Center. I didn't buy the tickets for the first row, though...too expensive. They were offered by Paul M. Montrone who is a Board Member of Columbia Business School and of the Met Opera. My big thank you to him!
The story is also very nice, and for those of you interested in it please check the synopsis on this website: http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/history/stories/synopsis.aspx?id=26





Pavarotti - Nessun Dorma from Turandot


No comments: