Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Stopped by the police

Last Friday I was stopped by the police (NYPD).

I was coming from having some birthday drinks with my friend Rui Silva (who is doing his MBA at NYU) and it was already 2am when I arrived at the subway station of the A train on 125th street. As it was late, cold and I wanted badly to get home, I decided to run from the station home. It's a distance of around street 7/8 blocks. I also thought it was a good safety measure because the area around the 125th street station is not the safest (it's the heart of the Harlem).
So I ran!!!

Of course it was weird to see a white guy running in jeans, winter jacket and dress shoes at 2am in that area. Within the first 100 meters, a bad looking guy on the street said something to me that I couldn't understand. However, the best part was that after two blocks, there was already a police car coming after me with the sirens on.

I stopped.

They asked me if there was anything wrong. I thought to myself "Will they believe that I am just running home....that will sound weird". However, I really didn't have any alternative, I just said I was running home because I really wanted to get there fast :) They probably thought I was crazy...

After we ended the conversation, they still stayed there, and I was thinking if I should just walk home, or keep running.

I decided to be consistent.
I kept running :)

No comments: